Friday, June 21, 2013

Hong Kong - Day 3

Today I went to see the Tian Tan Buddha statue which is 34 m tall and faces North to China. you reach the statue by Gondola



It was amazing to see the statue as we came over the hills, it truly is huge. 



You walk through an historic fishing village (which has been turned into a tourist hotspot complete with a Starbucks) and then reach the Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery. There are 268 steps to the top where you get 360 degree views.


statues sit at the base of the Buddha, this is where I show my lack of knowledge of the religion. They are obviously offering him things of worth. 

After exploring the Buddha I went for a walk along the 'Wisdom Trail'. It was such a refreshing change to walk through the quiet forest listening to the bird song. There were huge butterflies all the way along, some with vibrant blue backs. At the end of the Wisdom Trail there is a maze of posts to walk through, which obviously have some significance.



It was such an enjoyable day to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and to see a lot more of the Hong Kong countryside. It was so warm, I even succumbed and bought an umbrella to keep myself shaded.

Well that is the end of my Hong Kong adventure. Next stop ... Bangkok.



  whwhich is 34 mic

No comments:

Post a Comment